Visiting Qld

Under the Weapons Act 1990, it is an offence to possess a weapon in Queensland without authorisation. International visitors to Queensland must hold a visitor’s licence if they plan to use a weapon while here.

Visitors from other states or territories in Australia may not need a visitor’s licence, as long as they hold an interstate licence recognised in Queensland.

Interstate Licences and Permits

If you are visiting Queensland from another state, your interstate licence is mutually recognised provided: 

  • You are licensed for the same purpose on your interstate licence, and
  • You are participating in a shooting competition including training for a competition and receiving training in the use of category M crossbows; or
  • You are shooting recreationally (hunting) on rural land only with the express consent of the owner; or
  • You have an occupational requirement to shoot on rural land for a rural purpose.


All other purposes will require a visitor’s licence.

A visitor’s licence in Queensland will only be issued to people taking part in sports shooting competitions, hunting tours or other occupational activities in Queensland.

The licence is valid for a specific purpose and period of time (up to three months). If you want to extend your stay, you will have to apply for a new visitor’s licence.

You should apply for the licence at least 42 days before the proposed visit. This will allow enough time for all enquiries and statutory checks to be completed.

If you need a licence more urgently, please contact Weapons Licensing directly.

How do I pay for a visitors licence?

Cheques and money orders are acceptable methods of payment for a visitors licence and must be in Australian dollars – AUD. 

All money payable must be made out to the Queensland Police Service.  Alternatively, the fee can be paid by a Queensland resident at any Queensland police station and a copy of the receipt must be forwarded to Weapons Licensing.

Applying for a Visitor's Licence

An application for a visitor’s licence must be made at least 42 days before the proposed visit.  This time is required to ensure that all enquiries and statutory checks are completed and that the licence is forwarded before the visit. 

Should an urgent approval for a licence be required within the 42-day period, please contact Weapons Licensing directly.     

International visitors wanting to use weapons in Australia require special permits from Australian police before arrival. A visitor’s licence in Queensland will only be issued to a person competing in competitive sports shooting events, hunting tours or other activities in Queensland.

If applying for this type of licence, you must be entitled by law to possess and use a weapon or type of weapon in the state or country where you normally reside.

A visitor’s licence can be issued only for a maximum of 3 months.

To apply for a visitor’s licence in Queensland you must complete the A​pplication for visitor’s licence and provide the following information: 

  • A copy of a current licence, permit or authority issued under the law of that country or territory.  Note that: 
    (a) The licence, permit or authority must remain current for entire duration of 
         visit to Queensland
    (b) If no licence, permit or authority is issued in your country, a letter from your 
         local police authorities outlining whether you are a fit and proper person to 
         possess firearms is to be attached. 
  • Details of itinerary and locations to be visited while in Queensland (include contact address and phone numbers)
  • Details of security and storage arrangements for firearms and ammunition while in Queensland
  • Details of any firearm spare parts and all types, calibre and amounts of ammunition being brought into Queensland
  • A genuine reason for visiting Queensland. This can be either or the following:
    • Competition target shooting: Supply a letter from the competition holder confirming your participation and the events you are participating in; or
    • Recreational shooting (hunting/safari): Supply a letter from the property owner/occupier giving you permission to shoot on their land, including details of property size and address. 


About Us

The Queensland Rifle Association fosters target rifle shooting and firearms training through our clubs.   Different classes of rifle shooting are conducted by our Clubs under the Standard Shooting Rules (SSRs) of the National Rifle Association of Australia (NRAA). 

NRAA Quicklinks

Our Location

Belmont Shooting Complex

Albert Rifle Club

Small club whose members have many years experience in the sport of fullbore shooting bot target rifle & F Class and will always provide the assistance required to potential new members in order to grow to our sport and open it up to others.

  • Location

    Duncan Range, Belmont Shooting Complex, 1485 Old Cleveland Road, Belmont

  • Distances shot at range

    300 yards to 1000 yards

  • When do we shoot

    Saturday afternoon

  • How often do we shoot


  • Disciplines


  • Shooting Programs

    Come and Try Program